Thursday, April 03, 2008

Another day in paradise


beer.JPG
Originally uploaded by stevenjude
there's the possibility that we might be extending our stay here in A2. Just a possibility. Which ain't a bad thing. But as friends start to contact me with tales of offers further afield, in more exotic locations and with better titles I can't help but wonder whether I've blown the career a little.

Of course there's a reason for this trajectory. Dr Jude is now a Doctor. And her desire to have that prefix far outweighed my desire to be Director of Creative Turpitude at Bangle Bongle Stronglemeijer.

And there are upsides. Cool apt, cool car, happy animals, job I like here, money in the bank and some cool vacations. I guess I'm just questioning my willingness to stay in one place for more than 2 years. I equate it with immobility rather than content I guess. Which is weird - 'cause I like it here.

Therapy here I come

4 comments:

Miss Chris said...

What's A2? I mean I know where you live, but the acro?

I won't even ask why you might stay longer.

Ana said...

I remember once reading about a celebrity who had "paradise syndrome." He had so many good things in his life he had started inventing things to worry about. Maybe it's part of the human condition to yearn for what we don't have?

Anonymous said...

Ann Arbor = A2... biscuit please

You can't possibly make any sensible decision until, having endured a particularly hard winter you see a pleasant country summer. Stop fretting an start considering around June.

Watched a BBC documentary on David Ogilvy last night, very interesting - have you seen it? Would be interested in your opions on his contributions.

Though BBC4 narrator, whatshername, with the stupid over-earnest mogadon voice, sounds like a troubled version of the diazepam-witches one hears on classic FM all the time... anyway, she came up with this little gem: (roughly)

"He was awarded the CBE in 1967, but it disappointed him for the rest of his life that he didn't receive the OBE he felt he deserved."

With such brilliantly proof-read copy, recited so unquestioningly by that half-wit, how is one supposed to trust the rest of the programme?

Steve said...

Mr DK

Good to see you again.

I think that you'd appreciate the work of Jeremy Bullmore. He was creative director of JWT back when the agency was doing amazing work that eshaped the cultural landscape of the country (!)

Now he's about 200 years old and frighteningly funny; loves nothing more than deflating ad egos.

He does some stuff for The Guardian too.

I'll track some down