Thursday, January 04, 2007

I'm starting to miss the summer


usda_choice_02.jpg
Originally uploaded by 256MB Bra Space.
mainly because this summer was the first since childhood that I'd had completely free. I was cancer free but still on 'sick leave' so I was healthy and being paid healthy amounts of cash... whiich meant that I could go and allow the grass to grow under my feet - an experience made all the sweeter by the knowledge that millions upon millions of people were locked under flourescent light, wasting time at cubicles and waiting for the weekend or a 'summer Friday'

I guess that this was the first summer that I actually appreciated. And now it's gone. Sure it's terrifyingly warm for January but I'm still left reaching for a coat and trying hard to negotiate my way out of at least one dog walk a week.

I think that's why I'm kinda yearning for a more flexible gig. I don't want to be bored in the office or too busy to notice life happening beyond the walls of my service. I wnat to be able to step outside when I want to step outside and have some time to think, to contemplate, to lay down in the sun and do nothing. I'm hoping that Jude's return to the workplace will allow me some of that freedom as it will probably move us out of the city and me into consultancy. There again we may decide that New York is too hard a place to leave... in which case I think that we'll both go 'part time' and enjoy longer, more languid days in the sun.

Here's to summer '07 huh?

2 comments:

Burrellcreekkid said...

Here's a brilliant idea, because Chris and I have been thinking similar things for quite some time. The four of us (and the dog) move to Riverbend and we all work part time/consultants in Canberra (the nation's capital, lots of cushy part-time government jobs)and the rest of the time we grow vegetables, swim in the river, paint, sculpt, roll naked in muddy holes, feed the wombats and do whatever makes us feel worthy. Eh? Brilliant!

Steve said...

BRILLIANT INDEED

I'M GAME - WE'LL NEED TO FIND A WAY FOR JUDE TO SAVE THE WORLD THOUGH

MUST BE THOSE JOBS GOING IN CANBERRA