Thursday, March 26, 2009

Am I fat and lazy?



So I finally got the offer that I've been waiting for in from London today. And if the dollar was still only worth half a pound it would be the kind of offer that I'd be all over. But the dollar isn't worth half a pound and now I'm in a quandary.

You see the money is really good for someone living in the UK. But I wouldn't be living just in the UK. I'd still have a house and expenses (extra expenses actually) in the US. And I'd have flights. And the extra money would trigger tax on the income we get from our house.

The only way to really make it work would be for me to share a place. In Essex. Which might be an adventure. But an adventure that I thought that I'd left way behind. Long ago.

So it comes down to this. Am I prepared to abandon family for three months, to share a house, to spend time on planes in return for something to do and (if I live frugally) about an extra $10 - $15k in the bank account?

I know that most people would scream "Yes" to this. But then the situation here is complicated. And maybe I'm just too fat and lazy to actually do this. Or maybe the time could be better spent elsewhere.

Oh - and the visa people have me down as German. Pushing things back by 2 weeks. And generally buggering things up. Great.