Saturday, December 15, 2007

Brrrr

This is Lake Michigan. During the summer it's all beaches and people protesting for the right to bathe in the altogether. Right now it's a frozen wasteland. As is much of Michigan. It was bloody freezing this morning as Jude and I battled our way from store to store in a bid to find decent Christmas gifts before one of us lost a limb to frostbite. I honestly can't remember being as cold. And I thought that I'd been in cold.

Of course the truth of the matter is that the lowest we've been so far this winter is -14c (I know, I keep a record) and it's been colder than that. When my parents visited us upstate it was -20c; so cold that when my mom got out of the car and exhaled her breath first misted and then froze to her glasses adding a 'jam jar bottom' look that caused much mirth whenever she walked into a lamppost or small shrub.

Luckily for us the heating in the building is paid for and we have a gas fire that sends flames leaping into the air at the push of a button, all very nice come a winter's eve.

Jude wanted to go swimming this afternoon - but I'm afraid that the thought of being in swim trunks on a day when even the penguins are begging for the right to kill a mink or two in the name of survival was beyond me. We'll do it tomorrow though. IN the morning. Before the brain is engaged.

But first the dog needs a walk and that means me suiting up, wrapping up and getting up. Here we go

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say degree for degree i never found america so cold, except when windy. I remember being in chicago when it was blowing a gale, and with wind chill it was nearing -40 (C&F for the clever), and i walked outside for hours... albeit with only eyeballs showing, hands in gloves in pockets, running bottoms under jeans...

But on the whole it's so much a drier cold i found -10C in the US far more bareable than -10C in Scotland where you ice up so quickly.

You'll be going to Lions games in a shirt and ear warmers in no time...

Unknown said...

Have a fabulous chrimbo, you guys! I'm off to sunny Iran on Tuesday, 2 weeks ogling birds' ankles and not drinking (not drinking? will he survive?!) - see you in 08 assuming I'm not waterboarding in Camp X-Ray!