Saturday, December 13, 2008

1st self portrait


1st self portrait
Originally uploaded by stevenjude
So I went out and spent the $20 on a compact flash card that I needed to turn my camera into a camera rather than a piece of sculpture.

Then I went out and bought a bag to put it in. And with the bag came a free extra battery (sweet)

I'm still obsessed by dust of course - even though the camera spends half of its life shaking its sensor... but then in this dry air I'm a bit of a dust factory - everything is flaking as you can no doubt see.

Minus 8c here so the vegetables can remain unphotographed.

Instead I pointed the camera at myself, turned 'shaky hands' on and pressed CLICK. This is the first thing that came out. I think I like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can never have too much memory. A Gb for every megapixel is a decent rule of thumb if you're shooting Raw and you ARE shooting raw geddit? ;p And batteries. Holidays need batteries. Non brand name work just as well.

Fuck the dust - dust happens. Be glad you dont own a Canon. Photoshop it off, get a sensor clean every 12 months. (Oh, you can try holding the camera upside down over a vacuum cleaner nozzle - but don't get the nozzle any closer than 9 inches or so. You want airflow, not mirror removal!)

Nice pic, pretty sharp for a kit-lens, and decent closest focus. Shoot something at 100iso so we can see - that look about 400?

OH, i was in the new National Geographic flagship store on Regents Street, the world's coolest, most over-priced shop.(£170 for a fair-trade cotton jersey, fuck me, are they trading with 3rd world millionaires??) Anyway, the shot is very photo heavy - historic photographs of Cousteau and Afghan girls etc... - but they also sell cameras... but only Sony Alphas. So you are officially cool now. Get travelling.

Anonymous said...

There'll be plenty of time for 100 ISO while you're sitting on the beach. Nice glasses by the way.