Thursday, October 23, 2008

Whatever happened to the good old days

I've spent much of the day today thinking about the best way to position cars.

In days of old I'd have spent my time thinking about the best way to position bikini clad models on the hood of the cars.

That's how much times have changed. You still get models at autoshows - but now they're Spokesmodels... given a microphone and talking points from which they cannot stray (a lot like Sarah Palin)

The future, of course, is to employ drop dead gorgeous engineers. Those guys (and gals of course) really know their stuff. The only issue is the fact that they're about as attractive and intriguing as Joe Everyman --- and nobody stands in line to hear people who know what they're talking about waffle on for hours (a lot like Joe Biden)

Looking at the pic above - it's a shame that Ford dropped the Capri in Europe. It was bonkers. It was also the first car (at age 3) that I ever envied someone for owning. Massive (by UK standards) engine, big (by the rules of the time) performance and cops n robbers street cred. What more could you want.

I blame the Capri for the fact that I now own a Mustang rather than the Pious that everyone else in Ann Arbor seems to love so.

Oh to

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Capri! How can you not love it?! I'll give you two reasons, and their names are Bodey and Doyle...

When are you and the missus coming back to the city? I have a hankering for wasabitinis...

M