Monday, October 20, 2008

resume in progress


resume in progress
Originally uploaded by Robotconscience
I'm trying to dust off my resume...

... and to make it interesting

That's interesting in a way that has some depth and integrity - rather than in a way that's all "flash and gash" (to quote my latest meeting 'he's gone too far' faux pas)

In the past I've done... 'things I most regret', 'ideas I wish I'd sold', 'Ideas that made the most money', 'Ideas I've had that you've probably heard of' and 'what I'd do with everything'

Truth is I'm pretty good at what I do.
I'm really good given a room and a brief
I do speeches really well
I'm fearless without being overly reckless
I get cultural diversity
I tend to view most things through a different lens
I'm generous with praise in success and selfish with blame in failure
And I know my way around numbers

but

I dress poorly
I can get bored if a process takes 'too long'
I have less time than you sometimes need for the slowest person in the room
I'm too quick to grab the reigns
I can be high energy and low gravitas on my bad days

I think that that balances positive.

Clients like me
Agencies like what I represent
I tend not to lose pieces of business
I have a great new business record
And I've never lost a member of my staff

But how do you turn that into a resume

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd stick to listing your O levels and say you were the treasurer of SUDS...

Dr Jude said...

just like that. that's how

Dr Jude said...

p.s. wish my resume could be as easy to do as that

Gareth Miles said...

Have fun with your references! I'd love it if they phoned up your mum and your first girlfriend to see what you were like! xxxxx

Enjoy the snow

Miss Chris said...

I'd say use your strength and plaster the room with little post-it's...someone I know does that.

Anonymous said...

I toyed with the idea of framing my experience differently with headings like: What I've done, Where I've done it (a map), Who I've done it for, etc. Got messy and these things start to spell desperate all too quickly if they aren't kept in line with what you're trying to get across and how these things arrive on people's desks. After all. It is still just a resume and yours speaks for itself.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Dr and Alex – speaks for itself.

You 'shine' when you talk about something you're passionate about.

Then again, you could do it in the form of a brief with an interesting 'background' paragraph or two?