Tuesday, January 29, 2008

So here's a question for you


Blue Fire.
Originally uploaded by tesla1000
I'm looking to shoot something that I think is electric (photographically shoot that is). Something that acts as an emotional amplifier. Something that crackles with energy. That fizzes and buzzes like an old neon sign. Something that heightens and confuses the senses. That's synaesthetic - that has colors you can hear and a look that you can taste. It needs to be something that draws some people towards it whilst repelling others. Something that some people just have to touch.

(Guess who just started a photography class)

Thing is I know exactly the feel that I want but I don't have an object. I thought about the Van DeGraff kind of thing but that feels old. There was one in a bar that I loved in the shape of a naked woman but that too feels a little obvious. I need a mix of sharpness and saturation. And a hint of inspiration.

Anyone have any ideas? (I so wanna finish top of the class)

7 comments:

Miss Chris said...

I am a titsy tatsy burned out in terms of ideas right now, but I am thinking a macro of some sort. If you want texture, colors, repelling/attracting...I dunno, maybe a nice pile of cow dung? A close up of a mangled toe? Velvet bra on rusty car? Told you, the brain is empty.

Anonymous said...

can't beat a man who's just rammed his head into a televison... surely you could bribe a hobo?

iiiiiirene said...

How about a tighter brief which seems to tick most of your boxes: photograph sound.

i

Anonymous said...

Velvet bra on a rusty car... nice

As is the idea of photographing sound...

the hobo - waste of a good tv; besides since hobo fight they're all in unions now

iiiiiirene said...

Hey, how about lighting a fart and photographing that. It's a multisensory event. It will have colours you can hear and a look you can...er...smell? Draws and repels. Something you just have to watch.

Not sure it would help you finish top of the class, though.

Anonymous said...

You can head over to 8-mile and set a house on fire?

Oh! I like C's idea on mangled toes. What about wounds? Sever stitching? Go to a hospital and recruit?

An old washed up hooker? Again... 8-mile.

Oh! What about an auto manufacturing plant?!? I snuck into one with a focus group respondent a few years ago who tole me everything would be cool once we were inside as we crawled under a barbed wire fence in the rain.

Good times...

Anonymous said...

actually planning a tour of buildings once central to the Detroit economy that are now derelict and dangerous with a professor friend of Jude's - the next time the weather breaks (I'm thinking April).... ought to be great