Friday, December 29, 2006

Real terror


Standing in Judgement
Originally uploaded by Black Glenn.
So over the past 6 weeks or so I've been gaining weight. Not a great deal of weight but enough to worry me for all kinds of reasons. Having once been described as 'The Oprah Winfrey' of advertising by a friend who I saw only occasionally (and who always wondered whether e was goingto be meeting Karen Carpenter or Ten Tonne Tesse) I know swings in weight but the latest is the most baffling as all of my clothes still seem to fit and I don't feel utter revulsion at my reflection (unless of course it's my reflection in a harshly lit changing room mirror - why do they do that?)

So let's put half of the weight gain down to my love of alcohol, chocolate chip cookies and my latte habit. Why only half? Because I've cut down on those things since my weight was static that's why - and because I refuse to allow the creeping of the scales towards their maximum to be anything other than dread disease or personal triumph.

In my mind the other half of the gain will be down to one of two things. Muscle weight (I have been going to the gym more often) or tumor weight (I am due a cancer relapse). Trouble is that I haven't been going to the gym THAT hard and I was given an all clear from cancer only 3 months ago (I have new scans due in a couple of weeks I think) meaning that unless the tumors are growing at a rate unheard of since sea monkies first burst onto the scene it's not that either.

Of course until I have my next scan I'm going to imagine it is.

Anyway a mystery worthy of Jessica Fletcher... meanwhile I'm back off to the gym in a bid to sweat off some poundage.

No comments: