Monday, November 13, 2006

A year today


For Digger
Originally uploaded by honey3bun.
It's a year today since I had the scan that first told me that I had cancer.

A year since getting home and finding a message from the doctor that I should call straight away.

And a year since I sat on this chair, at this computer trying to figure out exactly what I had ahead of an 8am appointment the next morning.

My biggest problem today is that the heating went out in the apartment (a man is coming at 10am) and that I need a catsitter for thanksgiving (I need to be in London for a Visa thing)

The odds of my being here were slim Slimmer even than my odds of still being here next year - but to date all is good and I'm doing fine.

I get to see Judith moving into the next stage of her life (she left at 5.30am this morning for the last of a bunch of interviews in various Universities)

I get to go to the gym (!)

And of course I get to curl up on the sofa with my wife, a glass of wine, some veggie chips and the final weeks of all of our favorite TV shows knowing that, really, the key to happiness is found at home.

It's odd being a year on from last November. And from those first two months of tests, more tests and constant uncertainty. It's odd making plans for the future. It's odd thinking that I'm still writing this bloody thing 9 months after my 'dead by' date passed.

But here I am.

Time I think for a rousing chorus of "I'm Still Here" - the Shirley McClaine version I think

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, mate!

Miss sharing an office with you.

Burrellcreekkid said...

YAY! I am so so so so pleased you're still around. I just wish we could have given you a hug or two through it all.