Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Big wedding anniversary

We have a wedding anniversary coming up. It's ten years since we got married and 15 since we 'got together'. 10 years in ye olden times was your tin anniversary. It says a lot that the modern gift is something made of diamond. Too much actually. Maybe I can buy Jude a drill bit - something practical and diamondy.

The truth is it's an anniversary that we're avoiding. Everyone wants to know what we're doing and how we're celebrating and the truth is that we're doing very little, both at work a couple of hundred miles away from each other and both determined that 10 years doesn't become a noose - the marriage equivalent of a 30th birthday.

It's been really tough not having Jude around the last couple of weeks - perhaps accounting for the brevity and general lack of enthusiasm in my posts. We've been apart before of course, lots of times but this time she's so close and I'm so near to being able to join her that it actually hurts. I'd have loved to have been there for more than just visits and to have had ten years mark the beginning of something. A new apartment, a new job, something new that we were embarking on together.

I'd also have loved to have woken up this morning 15lbs lighter, with better defined abs, American white teeth, hair and the ability to speak Dutch (I'm using Rosetta Stone to get me toward the last one)

But it's not to be just yet and so we soldier on and I try to think of a gift that's both swooningly romantic and non-fattening. I was thinking Vegas baby

No comments: