Thursday, July 05, 2007

Delta 1

I'm hoping that Delta aren't as crap as they used to be. Taking an overnight to London in economy is something that fills me with dread. Taking the overnight on Delta is even worse - American airlines are notoriously stingy when it comes to things like, oh food and water. And oxygen --- there's less oxygen on American flights than on Asian flights. It's cheaper to have people on the verge of suffocation... they sleep longer and demand less stuff... plus oxygen is expensive.

But there is hope. A while ago Delta tried a little experiment. They called it Song. Song was a low cost, high entertainment airline for domestic flights. The theory was that people choose flights based on cost but then lose all sense of thrift as soon as their vacation starts. As my granny used to say of expensive Scarborough fish and chips "We we are on us 'olidays"

So Song loaded the plane with expensive goodies that you could buy - $8 martinis, $7 sandwiches that kind of thing as well as an entertainment system that allowed you to play trivia games against the otehr passengers. I liked the trivia as it drew mainly really thick people. Therefore I could play and win 95% of the time, despite the constant baseball and American trivia disguised as history questions. Upon winning I could then punch the air and scream "oh Yes, oh yes, AGAIN!!! Bring-it-on". This made Jude anxious, the people around me annoyed and me very happy.

Of course the 'on us 'olidays' airline failed as people started bringing on their own potted meat sandwiches but having paid for the ents Delta repainted the planes and announced an 'entertainment upgrade'. Excellent. I may not be able to breath tonight, or move, or sleep but it's good to know that I will at least be able to face off against other miserable insomniacs safe in the knowledge that I know more crap than most.

Result

1 comment:

Anne-Marie Weeden said...

Just discovered you're back on the blogmill. (And treadmill - good going).

I'd given up checking a while back to see if you would reappear and clicked on your bookmark mistakenly just now to find Yay! Steve's back... Good to hear your tales again. Have lots of fun in Namibia. And keep up the good health. xxx