Monday, September 04, 2006

Scary Food


skully pannacotta 2
Originally uploaded by chotda.
I was supposed to be in London today.

Which would have been good for the airmiles (I need all I can get);

Good for me personally (I wanted to be in Sweden on Saturday for my birthday and a friend of Jude's graduation - London to sweden costs $1.50 return on RyanAir)

And good for work (everyone is there)

Instead I have this strange burning skin sensation, a doctor's appointment, a week alone with the dog and a 7am conference call.

The work thing is pretty cool at the moment. 'cause I'm looking at how and why our relationship with food is messed up

- we're afraid of what's in it
- we're afraid of what it will do to us
- we're afraid of how to prepare it
- we're afraid of our feelings towards it

We're at a stage where good food is signified not by what's in it - but by what's missing from it (no transfats, no hydrogenated oils, no sugar, no fat, no taste, no interest)

And we're quick to make food the enemy.

We have 20% of girls 12-15 willing to take laxatives as a diet methodology. We have 7% of people willing to trade a lifetime of breakfasts for a lifetime's supply of morning cigarettes. We have kids with microwave ovens in their rooms.

I'm trying to find out how and why we got this disfunctional. To find out when bi-polar behavior (I'll suck on icecubes all day tomorrow so that I can have tiramisu tonight) came to be seen as balanced eating.

To find out when gastric bypasses became heroic.

To find out how, where, when and why we f***ed up on food.

And I have somebody else's money, address book and clout to help me do it.

It's gonna be fun. Just as soon as the pain stops, the doctor's clear me and I'm good to get on a plane again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting topic.

I recently found out that supermarket chicken, contains so much fat, it shouldn't qualify as a 'lean meat' anymore. A chicken can contain about a pint and a half of fat if you were to break it down. But I think these 'agreed' nutritional values are only published every half century or so.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/3044301.stm
http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=1694552005

And, you probably know this one: Popeye was wrong.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s301760.htm

i