Monday, February 12, 2007

Greetings from Paris

Well Air India is a trip. First they call me to tell me that the 9pm flight that I'm supposed to be on is delayed until 'at least 3am' and then I watch as that time slips and slips.

I call the reservations dept. and figure out that all of the planes the previous day had been cancelled and that two planes were leaving around 18hrs delayed but mid afternoon. Get myself on the 5.30pm.

The airport is filled with screaming families - all delayed a day and facing a long NYC - PARIS - MUMBAI - Azabazramdan (or something) flight. I bypass them all merely by waving my ticket in the air and get checked in and through security in under 10 mins.

The flight is almost empty - there are 3 paying passengers in Business class. We're outnumbered by stray flies but still outnumber the number of TV screens available. No in-seat TV here. Still they have wallpapered - which is nice.

Crew are weary looking and pleasant without being helpful. They wake me up for dinner and for breakfast - despite me asking them not to (both meals are dire) and they refuse to put my bag in the closet at the back of business class even when I offer to carry it.

Still we arrive on time and I head for the world's smallest hotel room via the back of a taxi that seems to be heated to steel warping temperatures.

Paris is - well Paris. I feel alien, afraid to order anything and scared of taking too many pictures. But it's good to be here and I'm hoping that the project goes well. Already found that the cafe at which we;re meeting has had a change of name, been ripped off for two notebooks and 4 pens (E60???) and figured out how to log on to the hotel internet.

Off to explore before it gets dark now

Steve

No comments: