Tuesday, February 21, 2006

DOLLYWOOD!

When Quokkaboy (I have no idea what it means and am afraid to ask - he's British) suggested that I head to Dollywood for a vacation he knew that I'd take him seriously.

I know that there will be bits of it that remind me that cousins shouldn't be forced to work in close proximity generation after generation and that there will be bits so sugar-coated it will be like being force fed donuts for a weekend - but ultimately the idea of visiting Dolly Parton's themepark is something that I can't resist.

And I will be visiting without tongue in cheek, eyebrows raised and with cynicism unplugged. I'll be there as a genuine visitor hoping to soak in some old style goodwill rather than there to gather some 'Dolly's second cousin is SO too fat for sequins' stories.

Don't ask me why I make an exception for Dolly - but I do and I will

So the job now is to convince Jude that a Xmas spent at Dolly's Tennesee Mountain Home (TM) would be an exercise in warmth, good heartedness and uncommercial Xmas spirit and not an exercise in my indulging in high camp at the expense of the people there for the spiced apple cider, acoustic singing and simplicity of it all.

The good thing is that I'm thinking about vacations in August and Xmas plans... two months ago I was thinking about whether I had the energy to make the bathroom or whether I should vomit into my dressing gown (bathrobe) pocket - again.

Blood work today - all was good again - now have 10 days to chill, feel good, visit friends and get ready for Chemo III (milking the formula)

Peace Out - as they still say in some quarters

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dollywood! I wholeheartedly agree -- a wonderful suggestion. I will be living vicariously if you go. If, however, you remain fixated on St. Bart's, I vote you go with the mad Frenchman. You've got to throw in a few good character parts so that Dakota doesn't have to carry this whole screenplay alone. As for Virgin Gorda, (just in case that's still in the running) I should be there myself this weekend, assuming my damn passport arrives in time for my trip. It's LOVELY -- definitely keep it on your list for future destinations. Thinking of you and Jude lots, my dear! I read your blog daily despite the fact that I haven't gotten my act together previously to comment.

Anonymous said...

Never one to wholly discount a fat virgin... let me know how it goes.

Talk soon