Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

Well Memorial Day is here and with it 30C weather. It feels a lot hotter actually – thank god for air conditioning.

Actually the fact that I’m worried that this year our air-con is placed illegally over the fire escape (we still have a clear exit, there’s nobody above us and no roof access to the building so it shouldn’t be a danger) is a sign of both how far I’ve come (I used to worry about how much blood I was spraying into the bread basket at brunch) and how little I’ve moved (an absolute obsession with a single subject)

Yesterday was fun, spent at a BBQ discussion just how Memorial Day is different to Veteran’s Day, why / whether the last remaining piece of the World Trade Centre (a staircase) should / shouldn’t be preserved and of course listening to how 12mpg around town in your SUV isn’t THAT bad. Interesting people, great weather and good food.

Of course commitment to the BBQ meant that I didn’t get to drive down to Fire Island and meet up with some friends there. A shame, I really want to see Fire Island and don’t get to spend nearly enough time with Alex, K-Jizer et al. Still post chemo I’m too pale for the beach and post steroids too fat.

No real plans for today. Just started a book (Prep) that seems a little heavier than I’d been expecting so that might take up more time than planned and we have to see X-Men III, if only because everyone else in the world has. It was the second biggest first day of all time (behind the final Star Wars Movie). Jude and I saw that movie almost by ourselves in a tiny cinema in the Bahamas. Just about a year ago I’d guess.

Radiation oncologist tomorrow.

No comments: