Friday, July 21, 2006

Like, who says I'm, like shallow


dummer
Originally uploaded by stevenjude.
So with Jude dancing the silent dance of a woman who’s just seen Travis do a solo before finding a fully charged I-pod and with the animals cowering from a thunder storm that seems boundless in its ability to terrify I find myself with a couple of minutes to bang out something to the blog.

I have no idea what I’m going to write – doubtless it will be more profane than profound but then as one anonymous person here commented we ‘advertising types, like, often mistake shallow sham for profundity.”

Of course they didn’t express it quite that well – but then why waste eloquence on ‘advertising types.’? The Ad Exec. is, of course, Hollywood shorthand for the emotionally stunted, the self centered, the crass, the vulgar… the guy who needs to learn a life lesson.

He’s a professional and personal manipulator. A skilled liar. Duplicitous, deceitful and downright detestable.

And I know ad’ men very much like that. I know dentists, doctors, school crossing guards and supermarket managers like that too.

I also know ad’ people who are empathetic, insightful, human, funny, flawed and rippingly good company. I don’t know any supermarket managers like that – though I guess that there are lots of them out there.

I actually think that what made me bristle about the post was the use of the word “like”… it conveyed a valley girl empty-headedness that I’ve not seen in advertising. Oh we’re many things – arrogant, egotistical, over-paid, over-sexed, self-important, expensively scruffy and at times a little too removed from reality but I’ve yet to hear a good ad’ person that wasn’t concise and precise in their articulation of an idea.

So anonymous, like, say what you will, man; because, like, it’s like totally, you know? Dig?

Does this face look bothered?

2 comments:

Marchand said...

Is that anonymous like in love with you or something to post such a stupid comment? That for me is the only, like, explanation for his post. What is he or she talking about? You're a great writer -- I love your weblog. Bumped into it accidently.
Louise -- Amsterdam

Steve said...

Thanks Louise

I wasn't looking for compliments - but I'll take one ;-)