Friday, July 21, 2006

Nary a whiff


gig_face
Originally uploaded by stevenjude.
So the office party came and went with nary a whiff of scandal. Finance fannies remained covered - if vigorously shaken. The mailroom didn't start a rousing Viking Skol chorus of 'minge, minge, minge, minge" and not a single creative was caught red handed or genital'd.

All rather adult - perhaps because we all live such debauched lives the rest of the time that a party is a chance to relax without the pressure of 'the crazy ad folk" moniker.

And it is pressure. As the concert violinist / diplomat we had in yesterday said whilst playing the opening of a violent death piece - "pressure, panic, more pressure, death" - it's how a fugue works, it's how most business works.

I woke up this morning tired. And not because I had a curry and a beer with the Lord's Whimsy and Willy last night - but because since I've been back at the agency (5 days now) I've not started work after 8am, not finished work before 8pm, have been to 23 "meetings", a party, have been asked to change jobs, to get on planes, to fix things left undone and - of course - to work the weekend.

Well bollocks to that.

And on that decisive if petty note I shall bid you adieu and call a man I know in Brazil about the differences between retail there and here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hated that twat with a violin when I saw him. He was a terrible hack: scraping away at his instrument (a beautiful Guarneri - the finest violin-maker ever save for Strad - excrutiating to see it abused and debased by this clown), displaying zero knowledge of Bach, and a talent for spouting the kind of pseudo-wise management bullshit that people in advertising think is, like, really amazingly insightful.

Steve said...

well, like, hark at you.

did I suggest that I thought his playing was great?
or that his management comments were "like really amazingly insightful'

what I did enjoy was his conviction, his verve, his attack and the fact that his having a decent Guarneri seems to have gotten up your uptight ass