Saturday, January 24, 2009

This could be an expensive hobby

So today I decide to go out and get myself a couple of simple things for the camera (I buy it gifts)... wanted something that could blow off the dust (think repurposed douche basically) and a brush small enough to get the skin that flakes from my hands, eyes and forehead in this dry weather off the body and lens ('cause it's stomach churning to look at)

Drove through to Dexter and Huron Photo and they have a huge display case of Minolta lenses. They fit with Sony. Hmmmmm. Surely they couldn't have a used Minolta 50mm f/1.4 lens? Yes they could. Perfect condition. Less than half the new price. Better built than the new Sony. And perfect for portraits and low light.

It really is gorgeous.



Spent the afternoon playing with getting the tip of my nose in focus and the mustache nicely blurred. Then at getting a single hair in focus.

It's been much fun.

Wanted to do some self portraits... but the one thing that I'm missing now is a remote controlled shutter. That way I could sit in a chair with the camera and a tripod and have it focus and shoot - rather than having to find a proxy for where I'll be sitting; focus on that (auto or manually) and run like hell to be looking relaxed in the chair before the 10 second timer pings.

But that will be it (for now).... no more... I'm about to be jobless in Canada for God's sake.

This wasn't the best of today's pics. But for some reason I like it. Think it's the color.