Wednesday, July 02, 2008

More real life feeling


P1060496.JPG
Originally uploaded by stevenjude
The bolg has been very heavy on very messy theory lately. A sign that I'm actually engaged with work - but also a sign that I might be living too much in my own head at the moment. I do that. Get excited by a theory and work it and work it until it makes perfect sense in my head - only to get too tired of thinking about it to ever write it down.

But there are things going on outside of my head too. The biggest change has been the gym. I'm 3 weeks in and have gained about 5 lbs while losing inches from my waist. I'm finally starting to see the difference while trying to avoid the "I can get into it therefore it must fit" trap so common amongst the recently thinner but not yet thin.

The gym means my getting up earlier - I try to get there by 6am. It also means my being sociable at that early hour as this isn't the kind of place that you can get buy on the occasional grunt and stench of sweat. 6am starts mean 11pm bedtimes - again weird for me. But I'm sleeping well.

Summer (though it's been a stormy and miserable June) also means getting out and about more. The dog is loving the trails that we're finding. I'm looking forward to kayaking (thinderstorms have curtailled our efforts twice now) and then there are the open air events every evening in front of glorious buildings.

We're starting to carve out a small group of friends too - though the problem with a university town is that everybody is transient; so you're constantly in mourning for lost company while never being short of new stories.

Weekends see people coming out in vintage cars and parking outside of the town's numerous Ice Cream Parlours and Chocolate Shoppes. The vintage car thing is a big deal here and after a short ride in a 1952 Chevy truck (to a small town where we bought icecream) I can see the attraction.

Michigan is also full of small dirt roads. Turn off any highway and you can head back 50 years (100 if you do it up north) - with the dust rising, the barns full, the horses grazing and kids playing in the dirt or with old tires. It's a weird and calming sensation. And one that I'm trying to take in through all of my senses rather than just the lens of a camera.

We have people arriving soon too - keen to see what's keeping us from small town mania and the thought of taking them out and showing them the stuff around us is really appealing. There's nothing like permission to be a tourist.

So that's where I am. Fitter, happier, finding a niche at work (at last) and relaxing into a pace that's calmer and a place that's full of bright people. Not bad, not bad at all.

No comments: