Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Time for implants

I've mentioned here before that there's nothing more shaming than opening a British mouth to an American dentist. In fact I think that in the 1001 posts on this blog (yup we're up to 1001, how many have you read?) I've mentioned just about everything, but the dentist is a reoccurring one.

Well this week has been one of emergency dental treatment. It started when I went to see the hygienist. As she scrubbed I noticed that the bridge I have back left was loose. She sent me to a dentist. He removed the bridge using some weird old equipment and a pair of pliers



Under it he found one tooth that was decayed. So he filled it, replaced the bridge and made appointments for longer term solutions to be discussed.

Sunday hit and agony. Temperature hurt. Pressure hurt. My ears ached. I paced. I swore. I lost focus. I downed hard to get Codene. Youch. And double ouch. And aye-yeye-arggghhhh.

So today I go back - we remove the bridge again. Root canal, temporary rebuild, warning that it's going to hurt like hell post anesthetic, and then an appointment to discuss implants. Which cost between $3,000 and $10,000 a tooth but will last longer than me and 'survive cremation'. That appointment is March 10th.

Come back to look at implants and find this image which I have to say I rather like. There's something about hellboy implants that makes me think 'hell yeah'...

Does that make me odd? Probably. But hey if you're going to get silicon chest implants why not get ones that get you noticed.

It's also a great motivator to stay in shape... you're going to want to show that body off.

Anyway that's been my day - pain, dentist, gym, queasiness, internet, nausea, blog.