Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Summer continues


Tents at Night
Originally uploaded by barzfam
So the summer continues... last night we walked down to watch some Brooklyn gymnasts cavorting in a paddling pool for the entertainment of a soon to be drenched audience.

Most amazing though was the way that the kids danced to what seemed to me to be pretty undancable music on the main stage. They were open and innocent and free. Just the way that they tell you kids are. And they stood in contrast to the Burrito laden, leaden bodies of their parents. I swear that if I had a kid I'd try to keep in good enough shape to keep up with their energy, their curiosity and their enthusiasm.

We saw a lot of 'tired parenting' in Cyprus - where the kids were wild with interest and the parents (usually dad) whined to call it a day and try again tomorrow, maybe. It was shocking and not just a little shameful.

Of course this mania of mine for physical fitness is being fed by my mania for the gym. I'm up to four times a week on weights, an extra night on cardio and two days of pilates. And while I'm starting to see a difference in the way that I look and feel I'm still reeling at the fact that the weight continues to get higher and higher.

Guess it's time to stop measuring health in pounds lost and instead look at inches lost, muscle gained and general strength.

Does Fabulously Fit sound too gay for a blog?

1 comment:

Ana said...

My teen daughter and her friends talk about "fitties" all the time. Usually in relation to guys. When I'm driving and I point out a fittie at the bus stop, I'm usually met with a groan and "no way." Seems we're a little out of synch.