Saturday, June 21, 2008

Really Gone



It's the Mermaid Parade today. I LOVE the Mermaid Parade. Lots of freshly painted, uninhibited, joyful flesh twirling its way through the OTT streets of Coney Island. A photo op' at every turn and an atmosphere of pure joy. When we were in NYC I wouldn't miss it for the world and last year we had such fun we decided to take part ourselves - using my friend Kaiser's 60s Cadillac as the base of our float.

Fast forward a year and I'm canoing along the Huron. Kaiser is in Europe learning to make hats ahead of a move to Brazil. Our friends A&C are recovering from a trip up Everest with travel to somewhere else, J.Lum is in the throes of a job change and only our friend Mike is in a position to actually attend should he want to.

If I;d not been a moron I'd have been there right now. But I forgot. I'm terrible with dates - having learned to follow the reminders set by my B'Berry to the exclusion of everything else. But it's just another sign that things have changed. A 'must see' becomes a 'wish I had' becomes a memory of a different life in a different place.

Right gym, pilates, canoing, swimming, Netherlands in the soccer now I think