Monday, January 14, 2008

Auto show fever



So the Detroit Auto Show is in full swing and while it's probably the 2009 Ford F150 truck that's the most important new vehicle in terms of the industry (it's the biggest seller in the US) most of the buzz has been around the new, bejewelled, Lincoln. I have to say that is is a looker and the video makes it look like a Miami Penthouse on wheels but I'm not sure that I'd actuallyu drive one. It's all a bit too conspicuous for me.

Interesting to see lots of energy around more sustainable cars but while people are talking about how in the future their Tank like SUVs and slinky sports cars will be run on the smiles of children and on the pollen that makes you all hayfeverish there are a couple of actual advances already available. They have names like EcoBoost which in a country with a mania for 'more' isn't bad at all. It's the Pepsi Max vs. Diet Coke thing - you want more or you want less?

Car I've pictured is the concept for a baby Hummer. They're calling it HX but it's really an H4 - designed to compete with the smaller jeeps. Beats offsetting the bad you do with a 'Hummer Helps' campaign asking drivers to show up when disaster strikes. Actually that was clever - talks about capabilities and ruggedness while looking like it has a heart.

Not sure I've seen anything that I'd kill to own this year - though the European Verve looks interesting

More on Thursday - after I've been given a guide walk through of the whole show (!)

3 comments:

iiiiiirene said...

steve, is your mail.com address still working?

irene

Anonymous said...

can you get me a good price for land-rover?

NB Land rover... not A land rover

Anonymous said...

yes it is

and if you want Land Rover you have to take Jaguar. It's a bogof.