Saturday, September 08, 2007

weird one


Lonely birthday
Originally uploaded by freyLee
so the birthday yesterdy was a weird one. I spent the morning working in excel and the afternoon working in a conference room so soul sapping that a visit to Starbucks actually provided some light relief.

New York Starbucks aren't the same as Starbucks in other places. They're smaller, theere are very few places to sit and the places that are there are in the major walkways guaranteeing that you'll be nudged and that your table will be sticky.

There's an air of disappointment about them too. Of staff worried about making the rent rather than happy to have found a good and decent employer. This disappointment is usually masked by a attitude of disinterest with a coating of surlyness (weirdly this doesn't apply to the Grand Central Starrbucks - the one right by the Poughkeepsie platform - open to the world with no doors and always with a smile on its face)

Anyway finished the soul destroying afternoon and came back to over-eat, overindulge in wine and generally attempt to inhale my age in crap. Which I managed.

Today is gonna be more social. I have the gym (gotta keep working at my age), I have a friend for qa bikeride across the bridge and into town, I have a movie lined up and we have plans for The Slipper Room and a little raunchy show to keep our fancies squirmy.

We'll see how it all goes....

1 comment:

H. Alan Scott said...

Your blog is making me miss New York. The Starbucks in Union Square, at the northwestern corner of the square, was always a meeting spot for me. Overcrowded, yes, but perfectly placed. The amount of dates, meetings, happy moments, sad moments, I've had in the various Starbucks around that city is astounding. It's the major player in the soundtrack of my years in NYC.

Great blog!