Sunday, September 02, 2007

Weekend in Ann Arbor


IMG_3898.JPG
Originally uploaded by stevenjude
I am an idiot. This I have known and confessed at regular intervals for some time. But this weekend proved it. Jude was down in Ann Arbor - getting ready to start school and staying in an Extended stay Hotel 'Efficiency'... I was doing nothing here so I threw caution and checkbook to the wind and jumped on the first flight I could find to be with her over a 'long weekend'. Of course it could have been a longer weekend as tomorrow is a public holiday here. A fact that I forgot. So as I landed in a deserted NYC (the route from airport home was eerily quiet) Jude was sitting in her hotel room miles from anything but the mall.

The weekend was good though. Hertz provided transportation in the form of a new but oddly creaking Economy Vehicle that cost a mere $30 (that's 15 quid) a day. Said vehicle took us to a monsterous WholeFoods (Jude had been living on mall food), to all of the spots we needed to be on campus, to a gay bar that served brunch to very un-gay couples on a Sunday as well as to a park, a lake and a couple of hours of canoeing.

It also ferried us to look at a few houses. There were scant few that matched the 'close enough to walk to school; bright enough to need no lights, cool enough to compensate for not being NYC ' brief but the one pictured did and we put in an offer to take it. Now it's wait and see time as the owners contemplate the offer, the chance that we might one day want to move pets there and the idea of having Jude move in almost immediately. We're hoping that they say 'yes' whilst trying to stay relaxed about the possibility of an 'no'. It would be perfect for Jude - one Bedroom, an upstairs study, a rooftop balcony and almost immediate occupancy. And of course not being New York adds the considerable advantage of it also being affordable. Let's hope it goes our way.

Now that I am back I'm not entorely sure what to do with myself. Ordered food and beer to be delivered (I figured that 2 hrs on the water had earned me a Wombat dinner) - checked e-mails, stroked the very excited (and newly groomed) dog and texted Jude to the point of distraction. I guess all that's left is to try and catch up with the TiVo (easy this week as fall season is still 7 days away) and to see who's looking good in the tennis.

No comments: