Saturday, September 02, 2006

Lexus men Chase women


kphwoar
Originally uploaded by stevenjude.
More tennis, more tests, more miraculous recoveries for Agassi and weird, prickly, symptoms for me.

I do have to say though that the 72 and a half gallons of spiked barium like contrast solution that you’re forced to drink before a CT scans went down shockingly easily yesterday. I wonder whether it’s addictive? I could see myself as a contrast solution junky, forever coming up with more and more desperate ways to get my hands on the liquid.

CT scan went well. We followed it with a river borne tour of the island which was rather ruined by a guide who was both imperious and narcissistic. Worse though he tended to run his words together so that all we heard was

“andonthatveryspotamanamanyouknowamanwithlegsamanwitharmsdidshoothismotherdead…you will neverseethelikesofthis town again”.

Weirdly he felt New York inappropriate, I’d have loved him had it been a Chicago gangster tour. Still I was more than a little glad to see him getting NO tips as we left the boat. “Oh-the-places-we-find-pleasure.”

Two sponsors of the US Open Lexus for the guys and JP morgan Chase for the women. Easy way to remember - “Lexus Men Chase Women”. Of course they don’t, because they’re a million years old but it’s a handy reminder.

Sadly the new Lexus ad’ only serves to strengthen the fogey image of the Lexus driver. It’s a nice idea – what happens to tennis balls after they’ve taken part in the open? We see them used as door stops, as pet toys etc. and then we see the ultimate (“Most exciting”) use which is to be suspended by wire from the ceiling of a Lexus owner’s garage at a height that it will touch the rear window as the owner backs in. Saving said geriatric from ramming the back wall. A nice idea but one that has me asking “Are Lexus drivers really too old to turn their heads? Too crap to use their mirrors? Is the car blighted by blind spots and poor outward vision? And why doesn’t a $50,000 car have rear parking sensors; you get them on a $15,000 Mini”

Jude’s mom leaves today – weather permitting (it’s WINDY) here today. It’s been good to have her – though I do wish we had a second bedroom (or a second bed) for people visiting. But as bon host it’s my duty to buy the pastries and make the coffee. So I’ll bid you adieu here.

No comments: