Monday, July 27, 2009

A really simple model



I've spent much of the week being irked by companies' failure to understand that a two way dialogue requires more than allowing people to post what they think of what you're doing on a hub somewhere.

Here's my issue. There are so many companies out there asking "What do you think?" that my head spins. Most people offer me a place to post my commments. But they don't actually take any action based on what I say.

An example. HSBC understand local differences. They say so. They solicit my opinion based on this idea. So far better than most. They have an idea; they're involving me in their idea. I like. But they then launch not a single product based on any of the feedback that they get. If 80% of people in the West say that they'd like to be part of a solution to african poverty where's the product that allows micro loans? Or the product that diverts part of your interest into a aid? Or that allows you to buy shares in community ventures?

The model should be simple

- Introduce your idea

- Invite participation in your idea

- Use that participation to inform new products and services, communications and thoughts

It's not hard and it becomes a virtuous circle. But as long as there's a wall between innovation, r&d, marketing and manufacture it's just not going to happen.

Gnnnnnnrrrrrrrr.