Monday, October 27, 2008

Take a deep breath


So - as I'm sure I've said here "The Naked Uganda Project" has been postponed due to the success of Jude's many job applications and academia's inability to give you reasonable lead times for interviews. December just isn't 'do-able' so we thought that we'd try to head out in March instead... we'll be 54 months into Winter by then and ready for the break.

But the aim of The Naked Uganda Project was to whip my ass into shape - or post my failure for all to see. The pics of me in Cyprus were shocking. I was flabby, I was soft and looking at the picture I was ashamed. So when we got back I vowed to hit the gym, watch what I eat, cut down to no more than a glass of wine a night (vs. 'well the bottle is almost empty now') and generally take more care of myself.

The bag has been mixed. The exercise wagon is something that I'm enjoying. The food wagon I fall off when people come to visit. So things are going slowly - but they're going - and that's a good thing.

To mark progress I've been taking a picture a week. From the same spot and in the same mirror. Vanity it is not - the pictures are ugly but serve as reminders of both how far I've come and how much further I have to go.

The stats are that I'm about 7lbs down, that I've taken four inches off my waist, added 1.5 inches to my arms and no longer have the knees of an elderly dowager.

So it's time to swallow hard and post the first picture. Not as a 'done' (this is far from being an 'after' pic... but as a public statement that the delay of the trip cannot now mean a dilution of effort. I'm gonna post a pic a month from here on out and I'm asking you - faithful blog reader and random person coming in look for post-op tranny news - to keep me honest. This is more than neighborhood watch. It's flab-watch. Less pleasant I agree, but then you're supposed to be my friends.