Sunday, June 17, 2007

dullard of the year?


steve
Originally uploaded by stevenjude
So I’ve been ‘home alone’ for a little more than two weeks now and things are starting to settle in to a routine. I’m exercising more, eating out less, watching more movies at home and seeing more of my friends. The animals are a little clingier and I’m allowing that to happen. The house is messier though no less clean. The credit cards are paid off, the savings are up and there’s money in the bank. It’s cheaper to live as a single on a single income it seems.

Really happy with the weight loss, less happy with the lack of sleep regulation. Getting very little sleep though I’m trying to fix that ASAP. Work about to ramp up from the nerve shredding to the flat out – ahead of my heading for Namibia. I’m actually much happier doing the work than I am planning it; so lesson learned – no more day to day planning for me. I’ll let the recruiters recruit, the room bookers book and the travel people send tickets,

Talked with Jude today who sounded happy but tired. It was late there and she had been doing a lot so I guess that I understand that note of weary satisfaction in her voice. Actually talked for a half hour – there goes the savings.

My listening habits have become resolutely ‘coffeehouse’ since Jude went. More radio. More whiney women. Said he listening to Sheryl Crowe on Satellite Radio’s Coffeehouse station.

I am SO looking forward to Namibia. If I was a little more certain of my long term survival chances I’d spend some time there checking out the adoption criteria. There have to be some babies that the celebrity ‘Womb Raiders’ haven’t picked up, doesn’t there? Of course with the Grim Reaper furiously tapping his watch and gesticulating at every turn that really isn’t practical. Last thing Jude needs is to be saddled with widowhood and a kid. That sounds morbid, it’s not. I don’t live my life thinking about imminent death. It certainly doesn’t play any part in the decisions we make. But when you’re looking long term it has to be a factor. The truth of the matter is that if cancer taught me anything (other than the fact that my head isn’t nearly as oddly shaped as I’d been led to believe) it’s to lighten up.

My photos are getting better too. I quite fancy a camera that takes great indoor shots in low lighting but I don’t really need it. Needs and wants are so easily confused. Mind I have so many things that I just wanted – and most make me happy. We’ll see.

This is a strange post, isn’t it? I do apologize,

So here’s a sample of my day. Up at 7.30 – latest I’ve been up all month. Get weighed (have an excel weight loss chart to fill in.) Feed the animals. Walk Velcro to coffee shop for breakfast. Come back and write a proposal for some work in Japan. Then some profiles for an exercise that we’re doing in Chicago on Tuesday. It’s 10.30 now and head for the gym. Many machines later I wander into the pet food store and pick up some dog food. Come home and arrange for Velcro to board at daycare while I’m in Chicago next week. Meet with a friend who’s looking to buy a house and wander through a sunny Williamsburg (33c) with him, his lovely gf and the dog. Tapas brunch at a new place, across the park to a 250 stall craft fair, then back through town and home with panting dog. Finish off ‘All the kings men’ (dull with poor diction) and then make some more food – salad and Quorn stuff. Talk to Jude. Return video and pop into bakery for more coffee then home, on to the computer and write this. Will catch up with some TV later and then read my (rather good) book and do a little pre-driving-written-test homework.

It’s not big or clever. It’s not exciting.

This weekend was a zombie movie, a greek meal, roller disco line, two movies, two sets of friends, two drinks, 1 brunch, 1 fair and a lot of walking.

But there are worse ways to live and I do feel great. Now – just what is on tonight?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, i see... you return behind everyone's backs... tsk!

anyway, there isn't really such a thing as a camera that takes good shots indoor in low-lighting... only a camera that you can attach certain lenses to that will make that possible...

but to be honest... even then... they're still going to be a bit crap unless you use a tripod... or you just want to work in grainy black and white

if want to go crazy - Canon 1D Mark III (not to be confused with the 1Ds mark II)

Slightly less crazy - Fuji S5 (Takes Nikon lenses)

Those two are the best for low-noise and seeing into the shadows

And it's quite cool to own a Fuji - sets you apart from the Canon/Nikon hegemony... (if naming two countries doesn't render that oxymoronic)