Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A change is gonna come

when I was a lad when Nike wanted my attention they wrote an ad that dragged Eric Cantona and Robbie Fowler down to the park for a kick-a-bout with some amateurs, mixed in some Blur and had us all falling over ourselves to throw our praise and money at them. This year they decided to get people to participate in sport with Run London - North vs South, in competition and varying colors. I could download myself crossing the line, keep my timing device, alter the course of the competition and choose my virtual training partner. It was about involvement. Why write an ad when you can stage an event - and film it?

More and more this is the way that 'advertising' is going. Less show, less tell, more invitation, more innovation. It's what I want to do too. I've said before that my job is to have people appreciate the things that they buy and own more. Coke tastes better out of a can than in a blind taste test. Handing over a Lexus keyring feels great (if you're a fat old guy who loves Valet Parking). There's an argument to be made here - but I'm at work. And people are playing the 'I'm loud and therefore right' card... making it impossible to concentrate on anything other than bad puns, poor strategy and perpetuating the belief that we're the only intelligent people in the world.

a real post when I get home

No comments: