Monday, September 06, 2010

Tick, tock

A decade ago I was in Bali, enjoying my 30th birthday. I was living in Singapore, the career was going well, I was being courted by companies from all over the world. I'd never been sick. Nobody around me had died. I had no reason to believe that I'd ever lose a job, or be 'let go'. Nobody close to me had ever really let me down. I was invincible and invulnerable. And an asshole because of it. 

A decade later I'm sitting in Montreal. Sickness, betrayal, loss of job, death and doubt have all visited me. And they've taken my hair and the elasticity of my skin. They almost took my sanity. But somehow you get through.

And you do more than get through. I have a fledgling company that's about to take off, a business partner that's shown enough patience with me to be in line for sainthood but enough steel to make me get up in the mornings. We have a baby on the way. New friends around us. And 30" waist pants (still)

I'm less of an asshole. Calmer. More centered. Less sure. Better. 10 years vegetarian. 4 years cancer free. A person rather than a cartoon.

Life is good.

Who knows what 40s will throw at me, I know it will be something (there's progress), I also know that I'll sail through (even if it gets choppy)

So here's to the people that made my 30s bearable (thank you people) and to the next decade... who'd have thought I'd live to see it?

No comments: