Thursday, June 26, 2008

Yes, but will he live?


Picture Perfect
Originally uploaded by Jessica Ma
On Monday I'll have been clear of cancer and cancer treatment for two years. That's rather a big deal - as two years was the threshold that they gave me to be confident that I'm not in imminent danger or relapse and near certain death (the treatment for relapse ain't all that successful)

I'd actually forgotten about this 'milestone' until the other day when I was talking to my wife about the possibility of changing countries (again)

"Most places will ask that I'm 2 years clear before letting me in"

"You are two years clear"

"Two years clear of any treatment"

"That's next week then"

Bonkers.

The "Two Year Mark" has cast a shadow over a lot of what I've done since cancer. Scans every 3 months raise four question marks a year over my longevity. Asking that I question what feels like good health.

I found myself putting life off a little too. The weight went up. I cruised in my job. I was happy to stay at home and enjoy the comforts of family and TV rather than head out and make a dent in the world.

But that's changed recently. A new job. A new town. A new outlook on what's important. I'm out working for the body I want - rather than at home wishing for it (today is a rest day - I work out 5 days a week - and I'm just itching to go in). I have the greencard application in.

I'm getting past the little things that, like tumors, have been festering. Stupid things that I know the answer to - like "Why didn't I get a call or even an e-mail from my brother during the whole cancer thing?" or the even more base "Why me?"

So yeah - two years on Monday. I may just live to fight another day. The big thing now is that I LIVE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Steve!!

Anonymous said...

Posts like this make me think that you my friend are Jesus. Congratulations! A big hug from the continent I hope you move to very soon.

curns said...

Hey, fantastic news. Although, call me next time you are in London or else I won't tell the world that "driving a Toyota is like driving an appliance" from your previous post is simply the best blog sentence I have read in ages.

Anonymous said...

Happy 2nd Birthday, Steve!

ix