Saturday, March 15, 2008

one last piece


no extension
Originally uploaded by yulek
of fuckwittery....

I received a final bonus from my old company yesterday.
Very nice, very handy.

But for some reason they deducted only 4% tax.
Instead of 30%

So when I headed in to complete my tax return today I had to fill out a new form - costing me about $40 per line (tax accountants aren't cheap) bumping up the cost of filing taxes to $530 and wiping out my refund in the process.

I now owe the IRS $3700. I'd have paid it anyway, but it would have been a lot less of a hassle had it not been for one last, post grave piece of absolute fuckwittery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same problem here. Grr.

Anonymous said...

but hey, they're so cool yah? sit on a bean bag and chill...

Anonymous said...

Ummm...dude? Your bonus is income received in 2008, so why are you paying tax on it today? Sit on it until this time next year and then enjoy having Uncle Sam giving you an interest-free loan instead of the other way around.

Anonymous said...

ah - but it was paid as income 12/31/07

And issued without a W2....
fuckwittery see...