Thursday, December 06, 2007

Oh for a gun


So today's 4 and a half hour flight took 15 hrs.

Booked onto the 8am flight I turn up at 6.30 to be told that there's no reservation for me between Detroit and Atlanta.
There was one - but it had been cancelled.

I have to buy a new ticket. In business. It's $650. I stump up the money and get my boarding passes.

The Aeromexico part shows as business but has me sitting in coach.
I head for the Delta counter - they tell me to go to Aeromexico in Atlanta.
I head for the lounge with my business ticket - they tell me to bugger off.

I get on the plane.
It's -14C outside and colder inside.

Land in Atlanta and walk from gate A to gate E in search of AeroMexico
They're closed.
I e-mail the travel agent.
She tells me to sort it out myself.

I call Aeromexico - it's business in their system but coach in Delta's - tough luck
I go to the Delta desk - he tells me it's not his problem until I have a business class ticket. At which point i won't have a problem.
I call Aeromexico again - they tell me that they've corrected the ticket and that I am now good to fly.
Back to Delta with my code. Nothing has changed. Other than the coach flight has now been cancelled.
They take my boarding pass and suggest that I pay another $1250 for a new ticket.

I stand my ground.
For 2 hrs.
In line.
With people hating me.

Finally.
Miraculously.
They find a way to access my records.
I'm given a boarding pass.

Flight is delayed. 6 hr layover now.
The direct flight is $500 and 4.5 hrs.
I'm paying three times that and taking three times as long. Why?
I fume.

Onto the plane and the pilot is being held at immigration.
Another hour.

We take off.
No vegetarian meal.
Stewardess insists that chicken IS vegetarian.
I ask "is a chicken a vegetable then?"
She spills wine on me
Then drops bread on me
And ignores my coffee order.

Finally land. Immigration is quick. Customs slow. Traffic Mexican.

Meet illustrator. Tad chirpy but nice.
Gareth has left champagne in my room.
I'd rather he'd left a homeless person, a large knife, a clean up kit and a 'get out of jail free card"

And now to bed.

My last trip ever with these clowns - the relief is overwhelming

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i'd have turned round and gone home

Miss Chris said...

It makes my day to follow along your slippery path to freedom. Love it.